Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Shauq-e-safar

I think I‘ve mentioned this in another form, but apart from all the usual reasons, there is another very good reason I love travel. Every time I return home, there is a certain feeling that comes, which would make it all worth it even if it hadn’t been all that much fun in the first place. I suppose I would have to call this feeling contentment (because I can’t think of anything else that fits) but it is more a certain certainty of being in exactly the right place, at the right time and doing the right things. A fleeting Zeness settles.
Baths assume ceremonial importance on days like these. Travel leaves many kinds of stains; it feels good to clear them.
I have a hierarchy of choice for my bathroom singing playlist and really special moods usually get “kaise chupaoon raaz-e-gham” the way it was sung by the King. My theory is that if I sing it a thousand times I may learn to infuse about a thousandth of the Ruh of his singing.
Well, I was singing it today and I found myself singing a new sher, and I discovered that it was on the lines of my favourite sher of the ghazal.
Here’s them both-

Gum ka na ho koi asar, vasl ki shab ho yun guzar
Sab ye qabool hai magar kauf-e-saher ka kya karoon


Iske sivah na koi ghar, tera hi rukh dekhoon jidhar
Teri talaash mein magar, shauq-e-safar ka kya karoon

7 comments:

Sheetal said...

Aaha jiyo, kya sher hai, kasam se!

indeed,
shauq-e-safar ka kya kare koi,
bas jiye koi, jiye jaaye koi

Shweta said...

Kissa-e shouq hai zeest ki dasthan
shouq-e-tajurbaa ke maare hai hum

Ilm-e-manzil hai na nishaan koi,
apne hi junoon se haare hai hum

Anonymous said...

I feel illiterate

Shweta said...

Meera: :-P

Anonymous said...

Greek –e – Latin ke shikaar hai hum

Na samajh sake is sher ko - hame afsose hai aur gham

Lekin iss zubaan ko seekhne ki chaah zaroor rakhte hai…

Ke kabhi is dard ko mehsoos kar sakenge hai hum!

Shweta said...

Chikka!
Woh aye ghar mein hamare,khuda ki kudrat hai,
Khabhi hum unko khabhi apne ghar ko dekhthe hain

Chaahe kitna bhi tang kheench lijiye, aap jithe lambe tho nahi ho payenge.

Anonymous said...

Rama! nuvva!