Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Swab story - Part 2

I saw it again- that Swab I mean. This time at a concert at Bharat Bhawan. No I was not early or anything. This was actually bang (or rather flop) in the middle of the program. It was one of those classical music followed by classical dance by upcoming artists type of events. So the musicians concluded their thing; I walked in just as they were taking in what I thought was pretty generous applause. (Must say the Bhopalis are very kind, I had gone out to take a breather, couldn’t stand all the unnecessary and badly executed decoration - appashruthi even!)
And we waited for the dancers to come onto the stage- they were being introduced in the background. But no wait a minute, who walks in? Surendra’s cousin with THE SWAB. And absolutely blithely set about doing his thing. I was suddenly assailed by images of a clueless firang wondering if this visually extaordinary exercise, was a spirituosymbolic prelude to the Dance. Pity I'm always alone at these places and have to control myself with a will of Iron. And I must have been alone in thought because,
The audience (I must grant we were kind of a casual bunch) of about 200 and I think the cultural Minister and I can't remember if the ubiquitous Governor had made it that day- all watched him in perfect equanimity. I guess it was perfectly logical; the dancers needed a clean floor right?
Sometimes I feel such a tremendous affection for India.

1 comment:

Sheetal said...

I forgot to tell you. When we were in Sanchi at that lunch place, I overheard the manager of the restaurant tell one of his chaps, "Tum kya karo na, woh bada wala poncha lalo... rassiyon se banta hai, aur bilkul saaf ho jaata hai, poora"
Assistant was mystified; obviously had never seen said contraption.
I hadn't either except in my imagninings, but I nodded vigorously and butted in, "Han han aisa wala poncha milta hai", bit the inside on my mouth and walked away.
Would have loved to see one in action, though.