Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Bashki with her grand mom

Bashki is 3 feet tall
Which is a whole decimal more than her years
She is a tall baby
If her cousin Samhita were to hear this, she would be sure to correct me
She’s a toddler, she would inform me
In my time all this was the same
But Samhita is seven and has spent the first five years of her life in the USA where these things are quite important

Bashki this toddler/baby, like I said is very tall
When we talk of how lovely she is people expect to see one of those plump Johnsons’ babies.
No definitely not.
I’d be loath to slot her but if anything Bashki’s a Hutch baby.
She’s lean, muscly, and graceful.
She looks like she would be a great athlete… if she could muster the aggression
But Bashki’s too polite for aggression, she would probably think it awful manners
And she’s kind… Bashki is
Doesn’t like to see people unhappy
Have you known a baby who would stroke your hair?
She’s rather smart, knows who butters her dosas and when
What’s a baby without some survival instinct?
I could also tell you that she’s terribly sharp, has a better eye and ear for detail than most adults I know, multitasks amazingly, and is most aware of all that goes,
and when she is quiet and pensive I think she is having knotty philosophical discussions with herself, and I never know if I want to smooth that wee furrow on her brow or photograph it,
but you’ll probably think I’m silly
So I’ll tell you instead of how proud she is, and that she rarely asks for anything she might be refused and her expression of anger is so controlled, so adult that it sometimes worries us.
But Bashki’s quite little actually
She was walking away with her grandmother just now and she had to tip-toe to hold her hand
She was going quietly, more docile that usual
And I thought there was something desolate about her bare summery back,
I watched them turn the corner,
It was lovely
I hope she decides to stop on her way back.

7 comments:

Sheetal said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

That is so lovely Shweta! I cannot wait to see her! And I'm REALLY curious--what was the comment you deleted?
Priya

Sheetal said...

Pri, she's a complete darling. Is like Sanju a bit but most like Siddu.
And no da, curious tommie, it wasn't anything special - just that Shweta put this up the day they went off to Chennai, so I couldn't read this and rush away to hug her :-(.

Sowmya said...

Shweta, am really touched!

Gayathri said...

I want to meet Bashki now!!!

Shweta said...

Prido,you will soon enough, but i wont get to see your reactions, spitty.
Twasa pleasure,tomyamma.
And gaga, you'll just have to come hear then won't you, won't you, won't you? tra la la

Sheetal said...

Gay, I'll send you a picture.
Pri: don't you go thinking I haven't noticed how quick you are to comment on this site when I haven't seen hair nor hide of you on mine in ages. I'm keeping COUNT.