Sunday, October 19, 2008

My name is Rose

This got written a couple of months ago since I saw that a solitary sher was lolling around. Also, note new takhallus. The old one was phonetically tricky apart from meaning gollyrot. But think I’ll use them interchangeably, after the best tradition, what?

And while I was at it, my tiny tribute to the master in the matla.

________________________________________________________



Ghar na raha bana rashq-e-iram ab ke

Hai khabar unke aane ki garam ab ke


Gaye sarme jo odhaa behisii ka chadar

Ek barabar humse eid-o-muhharam ab ke


Dast-e-naseeb dast-e-dua kyonkar ho

Zabt-e-waqt mein bahe abd-e-dharam ab ke


Gile pe gila kareinge na keechad ko roenge hum

Bade minnato se barsa hai abre karam abke


Kuch naa-saaz se rehathe hai zehan-o-dil in dino

Adoo se kaho karein waar-e-naram ab ke


Kambakt hi sahi zoya kuch us kee bhi hasti hai

Waqt ne has-has ke toda ye bhi bharam ab ke



3 comments:

Sheetal said...

Wah kya baat hai! V. nice.
Didn't get a handle on the dast-e-naseeb wala but.

इसी तलाश ओ तजस्सुस में खो गया हूँ मैं
मै हूँ तो क्यों हूँ, नहीं हूँ तो क्या हूँ मैं

परछाई हूँ, गूँज हूँ, क्या हूँ मैं,
अस्वी तो मै हूँ, गोया ज़ोया हूँ मैं

My devnagri's showing up weirdly; I hope this reads ok.

Shweta said...

Hey! Matla yours too? Masha'allah!
Hain yes, that one got a bit convoluted even for my liking; in fact I had a different version which I liked much better. But I forgot to put it down and now I just can't remember. I got irritated and wanted to discard it totally, but just let it go finally.
Abd is slave/follower/devotee and I’ve used zabt to mean control or dictates. Does that help? I tried a translation but it was so bad, I could not put it up.

Sheetal said...

no no! First sher, zameen, is Khusrau, by gawd. I think. not cent per cent sure.

yerst, I found zabt and abd but didn't get immediate sense. anyway it will come.