Thursday, October 23, 2008

Chhau!!!

I am going to feel every single cell separately in my body tomorrow morning, I know it and I am dreading it; but it will have been worth it.

There was a Chhau workshop in the city today; actually has been for the past two days, but thanks to The Hindu’s unconscionably tardy reportage I only knew about it today.

Now, I have only seen Chhau being performed live once. This was at the glorious festival of dance organised by the Sangeet Natak Academy on the theme of Sankhya - numbers zero to ten. Eleven dance choreographies in all, each interpreting a number. Wonderful stuff - some of it downright sublime. The Chhau performance was based on the number three. They used the concept of Trimurti as a platform to explore the number.

Chhau is an extraordinary dance form. It has been awarded status of a classical dance form in India but a lot of it I find is very modern in spirit; in dance terms I perhaps mean ‘contemporary’. What I am trying to say is that in Chhau a lot of the time the body does not ‘represent’, the body ‘becomes’. As against the symbolist and stylised approach of most other classical dance forms, Chhau attempts a sort of fragmented Modernist realism.

This attempt then, at becoming various things, is very demanding on the body. It is superb watch if done with control and involvement, but as I learnt today difficult, bloody difficult.

The workshop was conducted by Chhau exponent Pandit Gopal Dubey. Of course there is only so much you can learn in a day and we were only there to get a taste of what it must be like. But even that was hard on my normally unexerted poor body. Besides, everybody apart from me was a trained dancer, some in more forms than one. There were five others in all and three of them were dance gurus.

There was this one sequence which we learnt as an example - the representation of a wounded deer. The deer has an arrow right through it and it is writhing in pain and fear. The body is contorted in several ways while moving in a large elliptical locus while a hand each is to hold the entry and exit wounds. It was arduous. It was fantastic. I was thinking in my mind while I was doing it-

Koi mere dil se pooche teri teer-e-neemkash ko

Ye khalish kahan se hoti jo jigar ke paar hota

I am somewhat high with exhilaration as you must see, otherwise I wouldn’t be unwisely exerting my very sore shoulders any more tonight to write what I know is a jumble of unconnected facts and exclamations, but what the hell!


9 comments:

Sheetal said...

Oh good! Mother told me you'd come home and done directly to sleep, but I hadn't realised it would be this exhilarating. bohut achche!

Shweta said...

I tell you,that dance oufit is the thrillingest thing you ever bought me.

Anonymous said...

Hi there need to let you know that we are hosting two of the Qadir Ali Baig Theatre Festival's plays - MS Sathyu's Girija ke sapne and Alyque Padamsee's Unspoken Dialogues..will keep one pass for you. Hope to see you then.
SS

Australopithecus said...

v. good!

Shweta said...

SS: You are a sweetheart, you know? Yes I will see you there. Will call you today.

Shweta said...

Auzmaan: what's good, re? Chhau or dance costume (which you must see) or live in general?

Australopithecus said...

chhau.

Sheetal said...

C'mon Seta, post, POST!

台中短租套房-夏卡爾 said...

vivi情趣商品

vivi情趣精品

情趣用品vivi

情趣精品vivi

vivi雜誌款情趣用品

水噹噹vivi情趣用品

情人趣味vivi

愛情公寓vivi

情趣vivi

情色vivi

色情寫真vivi

vivi歡愉用品

交友愛情vivi精品

色情遊戲vivi

愛戀情人vivi精品

情人趣味用品vivi

愛情配對vivi

股票行情vivi

msn表情符號vivi

一夜情貼圖vivi

情人節vivi調情用品

情色自拍vivi

性愛用品vivi

一夜情vivi用品

調情高手vivi用品

色遊戲vivi精品

情色自拍vivi精品

色情網站vivi精品

性交補給vivi

性行為補給vivi

愛愛補給vivi

性趣十足vivi

vivi情趣用品專賣

交友戀愛vivi

愛戀情人vivi

做愛vivi情趣用品

作愛vivi情趣用品

網愛vivi情趣用品

視訊做愛vivi情趣用品

性愛vivi情趣用品

聯誼vivi情趣用品

正妹vivi情趣精品

走光vivi情趣精品

自拍vivi情趣精品