Friday, January 14, 2011

Waking on

They’d begun to ask me if this blog is dead. I did not think so; I thought that perhaps it was just very very sleepy. I am giving it a slight prod to see if it stirs and breathes.

Often when you sleep with a thought you awake on the theme, and so I find I still have Hirshfield for you –

To hear the falling world

Only if I move my arm in a certain way,

it comes back.

Or the way the light bends in the trees

this time of year,

so a scrap of sorrow, like a bird, lights on the heart.

I carry this in my body, seed

in an unswept corner, husk-encowled and seemingly safe.

But they guard me, these small pains,

From growing sure

of myself and perhaps forgetting.

2 comments:

Space Bar said...

It breathes. Welcome back!

Shweta said...

Thanks SB! And now to sustain the trick... :D