Friday, June 08, 2007

Mysuru

Mysore is terribly nice. The more I see of it, the more I like it. They (The Mysoreans) think that it’s going the Bangalore way, which is a truly depressing thought. The Infosys chief was all over the papers when I was there, so it’s possible they know what they are talking about, but for my part, I totally adored the avenues of trees, the wide clean roads, the markets, the buildings and the air. I only hope it all last as long as it can. I really would like to believe that they can have the best of both worlds. Why not? I say! A little forethought, a little heart and it can be done…no?

I landed a great haul this time, Raspooris that smelled of my grandfather’s home, jackfruit to die for, second-hand books at Landsdowne building, two mystery birds and a stork-billed kingfisher, a play full of imbeciles (which was a large part of its charm) and fabulous weather.

By the way, I think I’ve decided that Kukenhallinakere is my favorite place in the world, which they say, puts me in the company of Kuvempu, which of course I don’t mind. I was really torn between going there with phatte chappal and jhola and stiking an interesting pose on the stone bench, whipping out a tattered note book and writing potry or doing the more usual thing of lugging a half ton bag with field guide and binoculars and a dozen miscellaneous things which only tourists seem to find indispensable.

Of course, given how little time I had, it was the later- for which I was rewarded with frustration. I am secretly convinced I saw an Oriental plover (which the field guide tell me is a elusive vagrant) but have nothing to show for it. Bah!

For your eyes only then - a slice of my heaven:









































Gawd! I have no more patience. I had a couple of other pictures to upload but thats got to be later. I think I must have the worst luck, blogger acts funny only when I have to upload stuff. Other people think nothing of uploading tendozen pictures a week

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi
I am a mysorean for last 6 years. I think I am leaving the city next year. but as u said kukkarahalli lake is wonderful place. But U missed a walk at Gangothri downs.. That road is really finest road to walk alone.
bmhaneef2003@yahoo.co.in

Shweta said...

Hallo Anon, Gangontri downs you say? sounds good... whereabouts in Mysore would this be?